SEVILLE ORANGE MARMALADE

(NOTE : MAY 2021 – Sad to report this product was DISCONTINUED  – RAVE turned into RANT!)

this post left up for archival purposes:

Trader Joe’s SEVILLE ORANGE MARMALADE

If you are a fan, as am I, of a proper, traditional English orange marmalade then you will probably enjoy this TJ marmalade as much as I did. TJ’s SEVILLE ORANGE MARMALADE is in fact a proper English marmalade. Yes the label states that it’s a “product of Canada” but let’s ponder that, since Canada was under English rule, clearly one of the decent things the Brits must have passed on to the Canadians was the How of making a proper marmalade. Because this jar of marmalade is delicious.

Made from Seville Oranges (aka Bitter Oranges) which are de rigeur for proper marmalade. Its a thin-cut marmalade, having small bits of chopped peel with a good balance between the Seville orange peel, juice, pectin and sugar, and overall an good balance of the perfect combination of bitter and sweet you want. Let’s call this jam for the adults. Not sure if kids will like it, but if yours do, consider them to have an “elevated palate”. That could get expensive when they grow up.

From the label: Seville Oranges are the backbone of a proper orange marmalade. The bright high-acid juice and the thick rough skin are transformed when cooked, becoming intense, yet balanced: the perfect topper for toast or scones (well put Trader Joe’s)

AND ENGLISH MUFFINS (see pic)!

I ate this marmalade for breakfast this morning on a perfectly toasted TJ Classic English Muffin, along with a pat of good Irish Kerrygold butter and a nice dollop of this marmalade, along with my morning cappuccino. Very yummy and delicious and perfect together. All was right with the world, well at least till I finished my muffin. If you are a marmalade fan, this does the trick. A big jar, which is over 1 pound goes for $3.49, another Trader Joe’s great value.

RANT (formerly a RAVE until discontinued!)

UPDATE (May 2021) SIGN IN STORE SAYS DISCONTINUED !!! CURSE YOU TRADER JOE’S – the fans of this marmalade are ANGRY! Read the Comments!

OPTIONS: I saw found jars of the TJ one on Amazon for outrageous rip-off prices from “enterprising” folks who resell Trader Joe’s products for profit at severe markups: $60 a bottle?!! I don’t think so, folks.

A more reasonable option might be to try some English made brands (Tiptree or Wilkinson’s – or you can make your own Marmalade with this DIY one from Robertson’s “Ma Made” Seville Marmalade – you just add sugar and water, and maybe the juice of a lemon. One can will make tons of marmalade so put it up in jars…. (2 cans for $20 = $10/ea plus a bag of sugar)

Other offerings on Amazon

https://amzn.to/3AwVYom – “Bonne Maman Orange Marmalade (France)” $4.99 = anyone tried it? Let us know if good.

Finally make it yourself DIY?? Here’s a recipe

56 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Mary E Stanton Anderson
    Apr 27, 2021 @ 18:53:33

DISCONTINUED — along with basically everything we used to buy at TJ’s.

2. briendownes
    May 03, 2021 @ 08:34:55

OH NO!

3. briendownes
    May 03, 2021 @ 08:43:25

Oh no

4. Stephen Sherman
    May 04, 2021 @ 12:21:16

The question is; WHY?????? Supplier problems??, cost increase??? What?? While it was a bargain for the quality I would be willing to pay a moderate increase to retain on the shelf!! TJ wake up!!!!

5. C Murdock
    May 04, 2021 @ 12:40:38

We love this marmalade. My mother in law even carries it back to the UK. Just went back to get more and there is no more! Very very frustrating.

• promacnyc
      May 04, 2021 @ 12:47:47

“My mother in law even carries it back to the UK.” – This statement alone tells you how good it is.
      I bought 3 jars to stock away.
      SAD

6. Carol Campbell
    May 17, 2021 @ 21:30:25

GONE at ours!!!! Asked about it + they confirmed that it was discontinued!!! UGH!!! Love this marmalade! BRING IT BACK!!!

7. Sally Stoffel
    May 19, 2021 @ 14:42:03

I love this marmalade. Imported from Canada. American-made marmalade is too sweet.

8. Jonathan Clain
    May 21, 2021 @ 14:10:24

Bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Georgina Lannon
    May 21, 2021 @ 22:01:02

Why Trader Joe did you discontinue this excellent spread?
    Breakfast will never be the same,,,Bring it back, my husband is addicted
    to his tea and toast with marmalade. Used to buy six jars at the time, HELP!
    we are running out

10. Nicola McFerran
    May 25, 2021 @ 09:42:12

I am becoming very disappointed with Trader joes. So many of the items we enjoy have become discontinued. I love the Trader Joe marmalade!! when we go to Trader JOES we buy fewer items then we use to

11. Andrew Nelson
    May 27, 2021 @ 12:19:49

I’m surprised they didn’t use the excuse that it was seasonal

12. Howard Bylund
    May 28, 2021 @ 17:44:28

Bring it back!

13. Samantha
    May 29, 2021 @ 14:22:11

Trader Joe! Say it ain’t so! Best traditional marmalade!
    I use it to make sauces as well as on bread. Supermarket goo is awful.
    If you aren’t going to carry it, would you tell us who made it so we can get from source?

14. Misha
    Jun 03, 2021 @ 08:06:04

The best marmalade I ever had!!! Bring it back TJ!

15. Sandra
    Jun 10, 2021 @ 14:32:37

So sad! The best marmalade anywhere at any price. I wish I could find out who makes it and which other brand names are used to sell it.

16. Paul
    Jun 11, 2021 @ 12:43:46

The reason I am here is to find this very marmalade, BRING IT BACK JOE!

17. Sandra
    Jun 11, 2021 @ 14:36:34

Try this. This is the distributor. Let’s bombard them. Maybe they will pay attention. I got a reply that they are sorry and will pass it along. No action. Many voices might make a difference.

thsconsumeraffairs@treehousefoods.com
    via
    treehousefoods.onmicrosoft.com

And go to this Trader Joe’s page too and send a message:

• promacnyc
      Jun 11, 2021 @ 14:44:59

Sandra- thank you ; this is excellent and pro-active. Yes, write them and complain, and tell ’em Trader Joe’s Rants sent you!

18. Frances Stack-Darabian
    Jun 20, 2021 @ 19:48:36

Why is this being discontinued. It is an excellent product and TJ’ must be making
    money from selling it. What is the problem – please let your customers know the
    reason. Thanks

19. Chris
    Jun 21, 2021 @ 11:04:01

TJ Seville Marmalade was the best. It may not have been a mainstream item but it was clearly the best in class and was one of the unique products that helped differentiate Trader Joe’s from the run-of-the-mill grocery stores. I tried to contact them to identify their manufacturer and thereby find an alternative source, but all I got was an annoying automated worthless response.

This stated that their mission “is to bring you the best quality products at the best prices”, which i am sure is not how the original visionaries for Trader Joe’s would have seen it! I am certain that the TJ founders’ mission statement would have included words like “distinctive”, “special”, innovative, “adventurous”, “tasty”, “uniqueness”, “fun”, “memorable”, etc.

Sounds like the Original Founders are gone, and the vision is getting blurred by the orthodoxy of typical MBA leadership!

A lament from a long term customer that is getting disillusioned – I’m sure their team must be starting to feel the same way too!

• promacnyc
      Jun 21, 2021 @ 13:22:54

Thank you for such a thoughtful comment, much of which I completely agree with and this issue (Disco’d Items) was one of the main reasons I even started this blog.
      Everyone please check out Sandra’s comment where she located the manufacturer of the marmalade (!)

20. Syd
    Jun 21, 2021 @ 16:59:10

I called TJ’s corporate office Pasadena to find out why their marmalade was no longer being carried. I was told it was because it wasn’t selling. Judging by these letters this explanation is a lie. Having one’s favorite food items bring removed is probably a major complaint among customers. I told the person to whom I was speaking that Trader’s should warn customers of product removal in their sales publications so they could stock up.

21. Dennis
    Jun 22, 2021 @ 13:47:05

Hopefully, TJs will bring it back, but, in the meantime, Vons seems to carry a Seville Orange marmalade under their brand name. I’m gonna try it. 🤞🏼

22. Margaret Zimet
    Jul 02, 2021 @ 15:17:30

What a blow! That is the best Marmalade, have been buying it for years. Called Corp. Headquarters to inquire about Canadian manufacturer, hoping to get some direct. There is a “non-disclosure” agreement with vendors, so no luck there. Anyone know how we could find out who manufactures this product? I agree with the comment about all other brands are too sweet!

23. Margaret Zimet
    Jul 02, 2021 @ 15:18:56

what does “awaiting moderation” mean?

24. Bob Hart
    Jul 03, 2021 @ 12:08:03

Add me to the list of shocked and extremely disappointed

25. Thea
    Jul 20, 2021 @ 14:27:59

Very disappointed! Why! This was better than the more expensive brands. Please reconsider & bring it back

26. Sally W Stoffel
    Jul 22, 2021 @ 14:33:22

I bought Cross and Blackwell “Orange Marmalade made with Seville Oranges” on Amazon, but I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s very runny, and too sweet.

27. Judith
    Jul 25, 2021 @ 15:35:21

TJ Seville Marmalade was the best and I’m so disappointed that they discontinued this superior product. Please reconsider your customers desire for this wonderful product.

28. Ron B.
    Jul 29, 2021 @ 10:54:36

As a Brit, it is intolerable that the finest marmalade this side of the pond should be discontinued without any thought for the impact on TJ’s hitherto excellent reputation for customer care. +-I can only hope that a senior executive in TJ’s will take note of all these comments and restore Seville Orange Marmalade to its rightful place on their shelves asap! Or is TJ’s, like most of corporate America, disdainful of its loyal customer base?

Liked by 1 person

29. Richard Leiter
    Aug 02, 2021 @ 12:18:47

Disappointing news! I’m thinking of boycotting TJ’s as a result. Very bad choice Trader Joe’s. Very bad.

30. Andrea Hynes
    Aug 10, 2021 @ 12:22:11

SO very disappointed to discover this news.

31. Fred Rigaud
    Aug 16, 2021 @ 14:14:31

The 37 comments that I just read helped me come out of my profound sadness. Glad to know that I am not the only one addicted to this wonderful marmalade. It has been part of my daily breakfast for so many years. I have always kept an inventory of 5 jars afraid that it could be discontinued one day. I called the Corporate office last month and drove around all the TJ stores to buy whatever quantity I could find without success. As a retired CFO, I understand very well the rules of profitability and contribution to the bottom line. However, the concept of lost lead items and customer service should be used to keep good customers coming back to TJ. Finally, why not offering items like this “on line” purchase by case size only. This way no Inventory or shelf space costs.

32. Richard Leiter
    Aug 16, 2021 @ 15:21:04

Does anyone know of another way to get this? TJ’s can’t be the only retailer, can it? Perhaps the manufacturer is selling it directly? Is there a comparable product available either at Whole Foods or Amazon?

33. Sylvia
    Aug 23, 2021 @ 12:27:11

After much searching could not find this product. What might it take for TJ’s to reverse the decision to discontinue such a wonderful product as the Seville orange marmalade? I plan to ask for it every time I visit the store!

• promacnyc
      Aug 23, 2021 @ 12:45:02

A private and secretive company, Trader Joe’s decisions about keeping or discontinuing items is probably most often based on one thing, sales. Any stocked item must sell enough to justify it’s shelf space, which at TJ’s is VERY limited. The square footage of Trader Joe’s is way smaller compared to other supermarket chains. So even though the Marmalade is absolutely excellent, I am guessing it was not selling enough, period. Let’s face it, though we here love marmalade it’s not for everyone (in the U.S market) Most people probably would pick strawberry or apricot jam over bitter orange marmalade? Marmalade is I think liked by people with more “educated palates”.

If everyone who misses this product, asks the manager every time they visit, maybe that might have some effect? Worth trying, thank you for commenting!

34. gerda schumaker
    Aug 23, 2021 @ 16:35:27

Please bring back TJ Seville Orange Marmalade. Great product.

35. Thomas Horn
    Aug 24, 2021 @ 19:42:06

PLEASE, BRING BACK TJ Seville Orange Marmalade! BY POPULAR DEMAND

36. Pippa Mills
    Aug 26, 2021 @ 09:32:56

Seriously upset about this. I live 50 miles from TJ and usually buy 6 at a time. 100 miles round trip for marmalade? Well, yes, if it’s the BEST MARMALADE EVER. And now it has been discontinued. WTF Trader Joe?! Why would you do this? Please, please bring it back or I’ll have to drive 600 miles to get it in Canada where it’s made.

37. Alexis Bad
    Sep 06, 2021 @ 19:06:27

First they took away the orecchiette, then the low sodium organic tomato sauce disappeared from the shelves. Now the Seville orange marmalade is gone. I shopped regularly at TJ for over 20 years in NY, NJ, CT, IN and TX. No reason for me to patronize them any longer except for the ginger snaps and the Rustique Camembert during Christmas season. TJ, I’m going to miss you.

38. Richard Leiter
    Sep 07, 2021 @ 17:15:11

Has anyone found a decent alternative source for this product?

39. Sandra
    Sep 08, 2021 @ 11:55:42

It is made in Canada. I think it says that on the jar. I’m there now and looking in grocery stores. Have not found it yet. The jar looks exactly like other E.D. Smith jams, but I have not found marmalade yet.

40. Elevated Palate
    Sep 12, 2021 @ 10:17:40

Nice catch, Sandra–agree that the bottles look like the ones that E.D. Smith uses. By the way, E.D. Smith also makes custom jam for Costco–a tart cherry/low sugar in a bulk jar that is absolutely delicious, but is only available in summer at some Midwest Costcos. Anyway, E.D. Smith now advertises a HABITANT orange marmalade on their website (https://www.edsmith.com/edsmith_product/orange-marmalade/) that looks promising (but not using Seville oranges, unfortunately), Anyone tried it?

• promacnyc
      Sep 15, 2021 @ 13:19:40

Thank you!

• Sandra
      Sep 15, 2021 @ 13:37:04

Walmart of Canada has a Premium Seville Marmalade that could be the same one Trader Joe’s used to sell (same jar). I’m driving back to the US tomorrow and plan to swoop into Walmart to check it out. Stay tuned!

41. Katherine Gordon
    Sep 17, 2021 @ 11:38:33

We loved this marmalade and my frustrations grew even more intense with TJ, since TJ discounted this great product! TJ does this all the time! You buy a great product for years, and then they discontinue it not realizing that they will lose business over it. Trader Joes when you discontinue a great product, you makes us go else where to find an equivalent and then we stop going to TJ because you don’t have the things we need … What is the problem? Maybe you need to reassess.

42. Colin Warren
    Sep 22, 2021 @ 12:22:38

A bad TJ decision. The store has a great atmosphere and many good products, but discontinuing the only product in its class that you sell is not clever. Reduce the varieties of vinegar or honey by one, but keep your only (and unique) marmalade. Marmalade is not a jam.

43. Joel Stevens
    Oct 06, 2021 @ 17:22:03

This was one of the main reasons I shopped at Trader Joe’s. If they dropped the semi sweet Belgian chocolate almond bars As well, I wouldn’t go back at all.

44. Sohail
    Nov 01, 2021 @ 20:45:15

Cannot believe they discontinued such an authentic products! Bring it back!!!!

45. Diane PHILLIPS
    Nov 13, 2021 @ 08:27:11

I agree with above comment on TJ’s Seville Marmalade. It is perfect. Biter and full of flavor. Can we buy it somewhere else? So disappointed that it was discontinued.