Trader Joe’s BROWN RICE MEDLEY

(UPDATE: UNFORTUNATELY TRADER JOE’S DISCONTINUED THIS PRODUCT !)

I originally gave this product a RAVE when I reviewed it. Now I give TJ’s a RANT for another really good product they discontinued. See the Comments section below at how many people wrote it who are pissed. Also look there about how you can find almost this exact product if you really want to find it (though it’s not going to be cheap). The reality I’ve observed is that Trader Joe’s has discontinued many kinds of rice and grains, like the very good Stone Ground Grits they used to carry. Also the Calrose Rice.

Trader Joe’s Brown Rice Medley – “A delicious blend of long grain brown rice, black barley and daikon seeds”

This is both healthy and a tasty little improvement compared to plain brown rice. This blend is a tasty mix of parboiled brown rice plus two slightly unusual additions – black barley and daikon seeds. Who knew you can eat daikon seeds? I didn’t until discovering this product. When I cooked up this rice blend for the first time, it got a seal of approval from both myself and my wife as it made an interesting, nutty tasting, rice side dish. However I found Trader Joe’s instructions need a tiny bit of modification regarding liquid amounts. I suggest less liquid than they say on the package. So instead of the 2 1/2 cups they state I say try 2 1/4 cups of water or stock (to 1 cup of rice). For a ratio of slightly more than 2:1. Also if using just water, you should add a bit a salt. Butter is a good idea. Letting it sit (without peeking!) at the end for 10 minutes is important so all the liquid gets fully absorbed. Fluff up with a fork when done. Hitting this with a little more butter is a good too. Possibly some chopped parsley? Serve with your favorite main. Its $1.99 for a 1 pound bag. Worth trying. PS If you find it a bit too cooked for your tastes or mushy, the next time you make it reduce the cooking to 30 minutes (instead of the 35 mins written on the package). The brown rice in this has been par-boiled. Normally regular brown rice needs about 45 minutes.

NB: This post has gotten more Comments then any other post! A lot of people have written in to complain about this item being discontinued. One reader found it available from another supplier online (though at a pretty steep price !). Read through the Comments for the details

Alternatives: TJ’s BROWN JASMINE RICE & BROWN BASMATI RICE– regular brown rice just takes 10 more minutes than this mix which had parboiled brown rice. Also consider TJ’s WILD RICE; you can cook some brown rice and blend it with cooked wild rice for another good blend. ALSO – They have an excellent rice blend called HARVEST GRAIN BLEND this is good on it’s own or blend it with your cooked brown rice.

I did locate “DAIKON SEEDS” on Amazon. I don’t see why you couldn’t mix these into brown rice? Here’s a link to the DAIKON SEEDS (Amazon)

DITTO: Black Barley

So if you wanted to, one could mix up your own blend and come up with something like what Trader Joe’s sold? It might be worth a try!

81 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Laura Horian
    May 19, 2022 @ 15:11:22

Why in the world would you discontinue the brown rice medley, a perfect product?? Obviously the demand is great, as it can be found on Amazon for scalp-level prices. If it’s because you can no longer procure ALL the ingredients, create a new blend with similar taste and texture. PLEASE

Liked by 1 person

• Paula Pulley
      Jul 04, 2022 @ 11:01:04

Why in the Hell was the Brown rice medley discontinued ?!? It was Fantastic !!!! Big Mistake !!!!!!!! It was So good for Sooo many things. What “ Suit” made this Brilliant decision ?!? 🤬

2. Sil
    May 20, 2022 @ 19:45:02

Sad. It was great

3. Kendra
    May 22, 2022 @ 19:43:34

Bring the brown rice medley back! It was a great product and disappointing to discontinue without any reason to tell your loyal customers.

4. Sue Wadeking
    May 24, 2022 @ 16:35:54

It’s the ONLY rice side dish we serve with grilled salmon. Sorry it’s gone.

5. Geraldine
    May 25, 2022 @ 20:21:38

I too am disappointed TJ’S has discontinued this. One of my favorite items. So disappointing. Please bring it back!!!!

6. Helen
    May 28, 2022 @ 00:10:12

I can’t believe you would discontinue this product! Brown Rice Medley is the ONLY rice we eat!!! Bring it back, please!!!!!!

Liked by 1 person

7. Donna
    May 28, 2022 @ 10:44:44

Please bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!

8. William Sander
    Jun 04, 2022 @ 02:19:45

Another voice asking for Brown Rice Medley again …
    ps. I do it pilaf style: brown it in a bit of olive oil, add 1-3/4 cups water and chicken stock (cube or concentrated). Serve topped with sliced toasted almonds – TJ’s of course.

Liked by 1 person

9. SCAMT
    Jun 04, 2022 @ 10:45:14

Please PLEASE bring it back! So unbelievable great. My staple dinner with added sauteed vegies every night since I retired, whenever I eat alone. Please.

Liked by 1 person

10. Livie B.
    Jun 05, 2022 @ 22:01:24

I am crushed. This is the best rice. Please bring it back.

11. Joyce T.
    Jun 10, 2022 @ 22:09:12

I’m so disappointed that this delicious and healthy rice medley has been discontinued! I eat gluten free and cherish items like this in my cooking. Please bring it back!! 🙏

12. Tra
    Jun 13, 2022 @ 18:03:20

Why, why, why? Bring it back and I promise to buy even more.

13. Connie
    Jun 14, 2022 @ 13:42:55

😫😫 Very sad this is discontinued… one of my favorites items & a well loved staple in our home. Please consider bringing it back or creating something similar. Thanks for your consideration.

14. Bubbi
    Jun 15, 2022 @ 21:10:20

Can’t believe it. Yes, great product, as has been noted, ‘perfect’. I have it three nights a week. Wow, strange… please bring it back…

15. Don Troudy
    Jun 17, 2022 @ 19:28:17

Why would you discontinue a product that is so simple and amazingly tasty? Please Trader Joe’s, reformulate another rice medley product!!

16. Doug Swanson
    Jun 21, 2022 @ 19:31:48

Please bring back the brown rice medley. It’s a favorite, simple, healthy and delicious

17. Bonnie
    Jun 25, 2022 @ 20:10:38

Like everyone else, Brown Rice Medley was an item I bought at every shopping trip to Trader Joe’s. How about sharing the proportions of the 3 main ingredients so that we can make from scratch? Or, better yet, put it back on your shelves. Appreciate.

18. Liza K
    Jun 26, 2022 @ 12:41:59

This was one of my favorite items! Please bring it back Trader Joe’s.

19. Don Troudy
    Jun 26, 2022 @ 16:15:21

I found a possible source for the Brown Rice Medley TJ’s used to sell. InHarvest is a grain wholesaler that makes a Brown Rice Medley similar to TJ’s. They call it Black Pearl Medley. The ingredients are long grain brown rice, black pearl barley and Daikon radish seeds. I was able to locate and buy a case (6, 2 lbs bags to a case) at Zoro.com for $69.99 + S&H. It’s not cheap, but it looks identical to the product previously offered by TJ’s.

20. Bonnie
    Jun 27, 2022 @ 13:22:48

Don Troudy, Thank you! In doing some research, we can freeze unopened packages to extend freshness. Otherwise brown rice has a shelf life of about 6 months. Your information is appreciated!

21. Jan rucker
    Jul 03, 2022 @ 08:12:55

We drove 50 miles every month to-your nearest store to buy this brown rice medley. We were so disappointed to find it discontinued. Please bring it back!

22. Don Troudy
    Jul 03, 2022 @ 12:05:46

We received our order from Zoro.com of the Black Pearl Medley rice mix from In Harvest. We had it with dinner the other night and it is identical to the Brown Rice Medley mix that TJ’s used to sell. We do have an alternate source, but you have to purchase it by the case.

23. Don Troudy
    Jul 04, 2022 @ 14:09:26

Try Zoro.com with one “r”. Do a search for Black Pearl Rice and you’ll get the link. They sell more than equipment and restaurant supplies.

24. Michael Cylenica
    Jul 09, 2022 @ 15:10:55

It is the best rice ive ever had. all my friends loved it and my roommate cooked my last bag for her company the other night not knowing im going to ?? her after i found out discontinued. also that other blend of a triple? veggie rice months ago also got the AX that was my second best rice. TERRIBLE decisions and i may boycott the store now

25. Susan Rumbaugh
    Jul 10, 2022 @ 23:30:23

Bring Brown Rice medley back – it is a fantastic
    Product- I have never written a message like
    this but we actually need it – serve it two
    to three nights a week, perfect for making
    all kinds of dishes – it’ actually completely
    CRAZY to discontinue it !

• Bonnie
      Jul 11, 2022 @ 15:10:53

I agree, Susan. It is wholesome, original flavor, good nutrition, versatile. Not a smart decision to remove. Fortunately, a competitor is selling it, as noted above. Too bad Trader Joe’s is not capturing this ongoing business. Bring it back, please. We are loyal customers. That is what you are striving for. Honor it.

26. Viana
    Jul 12, 2022 @ 13:49:04

Can’t believe Brown Rice Medley is discontinued! Best product to date. Please reconsider.

27. Michael Cylenica
    Jul 13, 2022 @ 14:09:35

could we start a petition or a vote so management can see the demand?

28. Michael Cylenica
    Jul 13, 2022 @ 14:45:19

I was trying to find a phone number for corporate and of course they don’t supply that . Nor do they make CONTACT available with jumping thru Hoops on the site. They are such a great company but nothing Irks me more than a company that hides from its customers being able to talk to them. i finally after lots of Hop Scotch was able to get to contact us???? Ha ha the joke is on us. what is wordpress? i found under admin. More RUN AROUND and that’s all this company is doing to we who want OUR FAVORITE product back

• Bonnie
      Jul 13, 2022 @ 22:23:00

Perhaps go to your local store and ask the manager for a customer relations phone number. You will likely have success.

29. Michael Cylenica
    Jul 13, 2022 @ 14:53:33

Thank you Promacnyc. Im from Jersey.
    I went to the link and was able to leave feedback and here is a pop up that followed.
    “We do not enter into the decision to discontinue a product lightly. We understand that it can be disappointing – we are Trader Joe’s customers too, after all. However, we want you to know that we take customer requests into account when we develop new products or revisit old favorites. We appreciate you taking the time to share this valuable feedback with us.”

Liked by 1 person

• promacnyc
      Jul 13, 2022 @ 20:22:21

Sure it might be water under the bridge but still, worth taking a few minutes to give them a piece of your mind(s).
      I can tell you this one product (BROWN RICE MEDLEY) being discontinued has gotten more Comments here than any other Post about any product.

30. marty
    Aug 20, 2022 @ 14:34:39

I just don’t go to TJ’s as often since they eliminated Brown Rice Medley. Bad business move.

31. Bubbi
    Aug 22, 2022 @ 18:41:23

Thanks to Don Troudy, I invested in some black pearl medly, 12lbs of it. And it is indeed identical to the TJ brown rice medley. It’s so good to have it back.

Liked by 1 person

32. AC
    Sep 05, 2022 @ 15:13:30

Please bring this item back!

• Paula Pulleu
      Sep 05, 2022 @ 21:19:54

I Agree !!! Why are y’all continuing to discontinue this when it’s Obvious to a Child that this is a great product with Huge popularity. Trader Joe , Bring This Back !!! Please 👍

33. C. R.
    Sep 09, 2022 @ 09:27:12

Can’t believe Trader Joe’s discontinued this!!!!… BOOOO. It always happens.. shortly after discovering a great item, they discontinue it!!… it wouldn’t be so bad if you could find it anywhere else, this, you can’t!! I was told “the packaging was a problem “…. Put it in something else!!id but it in bulk, a bag, a box… anything.. just BRING IT BACK!!!

34. Ted Garces
    Sep 15, 2022 @ 19:38:14

Trader Joe’s keeps discontinuing great products. It brings nice products to their stores which then at some point in time, sometimes sooner than later, they get discontinued and sold by scalpers at Amazon. Too bad.

35. Kyle
    Sep 17, 2022 @ 11:54:39

Why? Why? Why? This was a unique, very healthy, versatile and delicious option. A go-to for our family whether prepared on it’s own or more regularly mixed 3 parts brown jasmine to 1 part medley. Please, please bring it or something similar back to your shelves.

36. Bubbi
    Sep 17, 2022 @ 14:46:11

It seems many haven’t read the other posts. Don T, (above) found the same rice. All you need to do is talk to your financial adviser and see if you can invest in 12lbs of the rice! 🙂 I did, and it’s exactly the same.

• Greg Moore
      Sep 29, 2022 @ 21:53:08

Thank you Bubbi! You are a saint!
      I’m biting the bullet…12 lbs of heaven on a fork for $70 bucks?
      Well worth it!! WooHoo!!!

37. Becky
    Sep 21, 2022 @ 00:24:58

Glad I found this group rant. I LOVE that Brown Rice Medley and had been hoping its disappearance was just a temporary problem with supply chain or something. Now I am furious. I used this blend all the time. Thanks for the link above to the TJ complaint site. I definitely filled it out and ask all of you to also. If we keep it going maybe someone will take note. One can always hope.

38. Susanna
    Sep 23, 2022 @ 19:31:21

Please bring the brown rice medley back to the market, it is a great product!

39. Alisia Aviles
    Sep 25, 2022 @ 23:27:51

Bring back Brown rice Medley!!! 😭

40. Sandra Benedetti
    Oct 02, 2022 @ 15:37:44

My favorite rice. Please bring it back.

41. Trackback: Is Eating Brown Rice From Trader Joe’s Safe? – Haven Hill Cuisine
  42. Alice Artzt
    Oct 16, 2022 @ 21:40:29

SO disgusted they discontinued this WONDERFUL product. BRING IT BACK !!! This is the ONLY rice product we have been using for years – we LOVE it and so far didn’t find any substitute. Grrrrrr !!!!

• donjamin01
      Oct 18, 2022 @ 11:23:07

There is another rice medley product available. Read back through the reviews. The only downside is that you have to buy it in quantity.
      Don T.

43. Joseph moos
    Nov 07, 2022 @ 20:17:28

Here’s the Evanston Il. vote tabulation….2 for Bring It Back!!!
    One of y’all’s finest products. IOHO (in our humble opinion)

44. Lisa
    Nov 08, 2022 @ 18:20:12

I have been using this rice in my homemade chicken soup for years!!!! Please bring it back. It was a perfect blend that I have never found in any other rice blends.

45. ShabAsh
    Nov 10, 2022 @ 12:30:54

Please bring it back. It was a must purchase on all our TJ trips.

46. Esther Carrasco
    Nov 23, 2022 @ 09:35:45

Please bring this product back! I went into my local TJ store to purchase SPECIFICALLY this product and I was dismayed that it is no longer carried. It was so delicious, versatile and good looking that complemented pretty much anything served on the plate.

47. Jane
    Nov 27, 2022 @ 12:12:55

Please bring it back— a big favorite . Can’t believe it’s discontinued. It’s delicious, unique, and nutritious.

48. Jane Andrews
    Nov 28, 2022 @ 14:39:07

Brown Rice medly discontinued. What sad news. Wish I had purchased more to hoard for the future.

49. Bubbi
    Nov 29, 2022 @ 15:18:29

If you’re willing to ‘hoard’ :-), the answer is above, here’s a link:

50. bubbismith
    Nov 29, 2022 @ 15:19:55

If you’re willing to ‘hoard’ :-), read the thread, or at least check out this post above:

51. Maureen
    Dec 01, 2022 @ 01:50:12

I was really disappointed that the dry-mix brown rice medley was discontinued by Trader Joe’s. My family and I have loved this product as an addition to meals or in turkey soup. I hope Trader Joe’s will reconsider returning this wonderful rice medley.

52. Margaret Gierke
    Dec 04, 2022 @ 21:25:27

Please, Oh Please, bring it back!!Loved it for soups, with salmon even a small steak, meatloaf–you name it. Could add extras-celery, parsley chicken–the list goes on. Can’t imagine who would ever think of discontinuing this product. Mistaken marketing.

53. Pjlee
    Dec 13, 2022 @ 01:39:57

I am not a fan of rice…period. but for some reason I was intrigued by its unique ingredients and bought it.
    I was cleaning out my cupboards and trying to use up bits and pieces of stuff. So this blend and pine nuts needed to be used. I googled recipe for pine nuts and wild rice. The most amazing recipe came up and I ended up doubling it to use up all of the rice. The original recipe had frozen peas which I never buy.. another had frozen corn.. nope don’t do corn.. so by combining several ideas I used grilled chicken green onions and dried cranberries. It was divine. Well I guess that was a one time dish but it certainly was exquisite.

54. Bubbi
    Dec 28, 2022 @ 21:05:56

Just invested in 12 more lbs of Brown Rice Medley or as known or Zoro, Black Pearl Medley. I was also disheartened yesterday at my local TJ’s that the wonderful Cioppino is now also discontinued… bummer.

55. Stephanie kugler
    Jan 07, 2023 @ 18:15:56

Please, please bring this blend back. I have so many favorite family recipes that call for this rice. Missing my winter recipes.

56. Aura
    Jan 09, 2023 @ 19:38:14

PLEASE!!!!!!! bring this Brown Rice Medley back. I’ll stop by local store and ask.

57. Bubbi
    Jan 18, 2023 @ 20:40:01

Brown Rice Medly is traveling in rarefied company. Think of it as an investment in your future! 🙂

58. Daz
    Jan 25, 2023 @ 12:26:05

My wife and I are loyal customers of TJ’s for years. The Brown Rice Medley was one of our staples at home, and suddenly is DISAPPEARED from the shelf. I asked the staff what happened and their answer was it’s discontinued. DISCONTINUED a popular product??? What a bad decision!!! Do your research TJ’s Corporate Team.

59. Melissa Jennings
    Feb 06, 2023 @ 20:23:43

The Brown Rice Medley (dry rice mix) was also discontinued. 😭🤯😡 not a week goes by that I don’t feel anger and sadness. This was the ONLY brown rice on the market in the USA that “opens” or softens on the same timing as regular white rice. That makes it the Only brown rice option that can be mixed together and cooked with white rice. The rice also comes out soft but not sticky, perfectly consistent with other rices common in Latin, north, and South Americas.

60. Elizabeth
    Feb 07, 2023 @ 00:43:09

I am soooo sad this was discontinued! I bought multiple packets to give away to friends because I wanted them to experience the yumminess of this product.

61. Pete
    Mar 06, 2023 @ 15:41:32

I finally ran out and went to go get some more as I usually buy a few bags at a time, only to find it wasn’t at my local store. I just figured they were out, until I read this. Now I’ll save the time and not even bother to drive to the other TJ’s store since this is the only thing I need right now. It was the only rice I used for all my seafood needs…

62. Meem
    Mar 11, 2023 @ 09:47:03

Very disappointed. I went to two different locations looking for this product. Nothing compares.

63. Martha Seneta
    Mar 13, 2023 @ 10:14:55

I just bought this last week at the TJ’s in Ballard, Seattle, for the first time. It was surprisingly delicious – even my family loved it! I went back to get more this week but couldn’t find it… hence came online searching and found this post… what a bummer.

64. Lee Overton
    Mar 14, 2023 @ 19:59:14

Man the rudder and turn this ship about. Totally bad decision to discontinue this product. Decision maker darn your decision. We can only hope the plank is extended. May the wind be at your back after you turn about.

65. Trackback: Trader Joe’s HARVEST GRAIN BLEND | Trader Joe’s Rants & Raves (mostly raves, a few rants)