Trader Joe’s BROWN RICE MEDLEY

(UPDATE: THIS PRODUCT DISCONTINUED UNFORTUNATELY ! RAVE TURNED TO RANT!)

Trader Joe’s Brown Rice Medley – “A delicious blend of long grain brown rice, black barley and daikon seeds”

This is both healthy and a bit different than plain brown rice and honestly just better I think. It’s a tasty mix of parboiled brown rice plus two slightly unusual additions – black barley and daikon seeds. Who knew you can eat daikon seeds? I didn’t, until now. We cooked up this rice blend and it got a seal of approval from both myself and my wife as it made an interesting, nutty tasting side dish. However I found Trader Joe’s instructions need a tiny bit of modification regarding liquid amounts. I would reduce the amount of liquid they suggest on the package. So instead of the 2 1/2 cups they state I say try 2 1/4 cups of water or stock (to 1 cup of rice). For a ration slightly more than 2:1. Also if using just water, you should add a bit a salt. Butter is a good idea. Letting it sit (without peeking!) at the end for 10 minutes is important so all the liquid gets fully absorbed. Fluff up with a fork when done. Hitting this with a little more butter is a good too. Possibly some chopped parsley? Serve with your favorite main. Its $1.99 for a 1 pound bag. Worth trying. PS If you find it a bit too cooked for your tastes or mushy, the next time you make it reduce the cooking to 30 minutes (instead of the 35 mins written on the package). The brown rice in this has been par-boiled. Normally regular brown rice needs about 45 minutes.

THEY STILL SELL BROWN JASMINE RICE AT LEAST

HARVEST GRAIN BLEND IS NOT THE EXACTLY THE SAME HOWEVER ITS ALSO GOOD SIDE

16 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Laura Horian
    May 19, 2022 @ 15:11:22

Why in the world would you discontinue the brown rice medley, a perfect product?? Obviously the demand is great, as it can be found on Amazon for scalp-level prices. If it’s because you can no longer procure ALL the ingredients, create a new blend with similar taste and texture. PLEASE

Liked by 1 person

2. Sil
    May 20, 2022 @ 19:45:02

Sad. It was great

3. Kendra
    May 22, 2022 @ 19:43:34

Bring the brown rice medley back! It was a great product and disappointing to discontinue without any reason to tell your loyal customers.

4. Sue Wadeking
    May 24, 2022 @ 16:35:54

It’s the ONLY rice side dish we serve with grilled salmon. Sorry it’s gone.

5. Geraldine
    May 25, 2022 @ 20:21:38

I too am disappointed TJ’S has discontinued this. One of my favorite items. So disappointing. Please bring it back!!!!

6. Helen
    May 28, 2022 @ 00:10:12

I can’t believe you would discontinue this product! Brown Rice Medley is the ONLY rice we eat!!! Bring it back, please!!!!!!

Liked by 1 person

7. Donna
    May 28, 2022 @ 10:44:44

Please bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!

8. William Sander
    Jun 04, 2022 @ 02:19:45

Another voice asking for Brown Rice Medley again …
    ps. I do it pilaf style: brown it in a bit of olive oil, add 1-3/4 cups water and chicken stock (cube or concentrated). Serve topped with sliced toasted almonds – TJ’s of course.

Liked by 1 person

9. SCAMT
    Jun 04, 2022 @ 10:45:14

Please PLEASE bring it back! So unbelievable great. My staple dinner with added sauteed vegies every night since I retired, whenever I eat alone. Please.

Liked by 1 person

10. Livie B.
    Jun 05, 2022 @ 22:01:24

I am crushed. This is the best rice. Please bring it back.

11. Joyce T.
    Jun 10, 2022 @ 22:09:12

I’m so disappointed that this delicious and healthy rice medley has been discontinued! I eat gluten free and cherish items like this in my cooking. Please bring it back!! 🙏

12. Tra
    Jun 13, 2022 @ 18:03:20

Why, why, why? Bring it back and I promise to buy even more.

13. Connie
    Jun 14, 2022 @ 13:42:55

😫😫 Very sad this is discontinued… one of my favorites items & a well loved staple in our home. Please consider bringing it back or creating something similar. Thanks for your consideration.

14. Bubbi
    Jun 15, 2022 @ 21:10:20

Can’t believe it. Yes, great product, as has been noted, ‘perfect’. I have it three nights a week. Wow, strange… please bring it back…

15. Don Troudy
    Jun 17, 2022 @ 19:28:17

Why would you discontinue a product that is so simple and amazingly tasty? Please Trader Joe’s, reformulate another rice medley product!!

16. Doug Swanson
    Jun 21, 2022 @ 19:31:48

Please bring back the brown rice medley. It’s a favorite, simple, healthy and delicious