Trader Joe’s BROWN RICE MEDLEY

(UPDATE: SADLY THIS GOOD PRODUCT WAS DISCONTINUED!

The original RAVE is now a RANT!!!) Read the Comments

Trader Joe’s Brown Rice Medley – “A delicious blend of long grain brown rice, black barley and daikon seeds”

This is both healthy and a little bit of an improvement over just plain brown rice. It’s a tasty mix of parboiled brown rice plus two slightly unusual additions – black barley and daikon seeds. Who knew you can eat daikon seeds? I didn’t until discovering this product.

We cooked up this rice blend and it got a seal of approval from both myself and my wife as it made an interesting, nutty tasting rice side dish. However I found Trader Joe’s instructions need a tiny bit of modification regarding liquid amounts. I suggest less liquid than they say on the package. So instead of the 2 1/2 cups they state I say try 2 1/4 cups of water or stock (to 1 cup of rice). For a ratio of slightly more than 2:1. Also if using just water, you should add a bit a salt. Butter is a good idea. Letting it sit (without peeking!) at the end for 10 minutes is important so all the liquid gets fully absorbed. Fluff up with a fork when done. Hitting this with a little more butter is a good too. Possibly some chopped parsley? Serve with your favorite main. Its $1.99 for a 1 pound bag. Worth trying. PS If you find it a bit too cooked for your tastes or mushy, the next time you make it reduce the cooking to 30 minutes (instead of the 35 mins written on the package). The brown rice in this has been par-boiled. Normally regular brown rice needs about 45 minutes.

NB: This post has gotten more Comments then any other post! A lot of people have complained about this being discontinued. One reader found it available online (at a pretty steep price though). Read the Comments for the details if interested.

I did find “DAIKON SEEDS” on Amazon. I don’t see why you couldn’t mix these into brown rice? Here’s a link to the product on Amazon

DITTO: Black Barley

Could you mix this up yourself? Might be worth a try!

TJ’s CARRIES BROWN JASMINE RICE AND BROWN BASMATI RICE– regular brown rice just takes 10 more minutes as this mix had parboiled brown rice.

HARVEST GRAIN BLEND IS ALSO GOOD AND THEY STILL SELL IT. ONE COULD MAKE BROWN JASMINE RICE AND HARVEST GRAIN BLEND AND MIX THEM TOGETHER GENTLY.

50 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Laura Horian
    May 19, 2022 @ 15:11:22

Why in the world would you discontinue the brown rice medley, a perfect product?? Obviously the demand is great, as it can be found on Amazon for scalp-level prices. If it’s because you can no longer procure ALL the ingredients, create a new blend with similar taste and texture. PLEASE

Liked by 1 person

• Paula Pulley
      Jul 04, 2022 @ 11:01:04

Why in the Hell was the Brown rice medley discontinued ?!? It was Fantastic !!!! Big Mistake !!!!!!!! It was So good for Sooo many things. What “ Suit” made this Brilliant decision ?!? 🤬

2. Sil
    May 20, 2022 @ 19:45:02

Sad. It was great

3. Kendra
    May 22, 2022 @ 19:43:34

Bring the brown rice medley back! It was a great product and disappointing to discontinue without any reason to tell your loyal customers.

4. Sue Wadeking
    May 24, 2022 @ 16:35:54

It’s the ONLY rice side dish we serve with grilled salmon. Sorry it’s gone.

5. Geraldine
    May 25, 2022 @ 20:21:38

I too am disappointed TJ’S has discontinued this. One of my favorite items. So disappointing. Please bring it back!!!!

6. Helen
    May 28, 2022 @ 00:10:12

I can’t believe you would discontinue this product! Brown Rice Medley is the ONLY rice we eat!!! Bring it back, please!!!!!!

Liked by 1 person

7. Donna
    May 28, 2022 @ 10:44:44

Please bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!

8. William Sander
    Jun 04, 2022 @ 02:19:45

Another voice asking for Brown Rice Medley again …
    ps. I do it pilaf style: brown it in a bit of olive oil, add 1-3/4 cups water and chicken stock (cube or concentrated). Serve topped with sliced toasted almonds – TJ’s of course.

Liked by 1 person

9. SCAMT
    Jun 04, 2022 @ 10:45:14

Please PLEASE bring it back! So unbelievable great. My staple dinner with added sauteed vegies every night since I retired, whenever I eat alone. Please.

Liked by 1 person

10. Livie B.
    Jun 05, 2022 @ 22:01:24

I am crushed. This is the best rice. Please bring it back.

11. Joyce T.
    Jun 10, 2022 @ 22:09:12

I’m so disappointed that this delicious and healthy rice medley has been discontinued! I eat gluten free and cherish items like this in my cooking. Please bring it back!! 🙏

12. Tra
    Jun 13, 2022 @ 18:03:20

Why, why, why? Bring it back and I promise to buy even more.

13. Connie
    Jun 14, 2022 @ 13:42:55

😫😫 Very sad this is discontinued… one of my favorites items & a well loved staple in our home. Please consider bringing it back or creating something similar. Thanks for your consideration.

14. Bubbi
    Jun 15, 2022 @ 21:10:20

Can’t believe it. Yes, great product, as has been noted, ‘perfect’. I have it three nights a week. Wow, strange… please bring it back…

15. Don Troudy
    Jun 17, 2022 @ 19:28:17

Why would you discontinue a product that is so simple and amazingly tasty? Please Trader Joe’s, reformulate another rice medley product!!

16. Doug Swanson
    Jun 21, 2022 @ 19:31:48

Please bring back the brown rice medley. It’s a favorite, simple, healthy and delicious

17. Bonnie
    Jun 25, 2022 @ 20:10:38

Like everyone else, Brown Rice Medley was an item I bought at every shopping trip to Trader Joe’s. How about sharing the proportions of the 3 main ingredients so that we can make from scratch? Or, better yet, put it back on your shelves. Appreciate.

18. Liza K
    Jun 26, 2022 @ 12:41:59

This was one of my favorite items! Please bring it back Trader Joe’s.

19. Don Troudy
    Jun 26, 2022 @ 16:15:21

I found a possible source for the Brown Rice Medley TJ’s used to sell. InHarvest is a grain wholesaler that makes a Brown Rice Medley similar to TJ’s. They call it Black Pearl Medley. The ingredients are long grain brown rice, black pearl barley and Daikon radish seeds. I was able to locate and buy a case (6, 2 lbs bags to a case) at Zoro.com for $69.99 + S&H. It’s not cheap, but it looks identical to the product previously offered by TJ’s.

20. Bonnie
    Jun 27, 2022 @ 13:22:48

Don Troudy, Thank you! In doing some research, we can freeze unopened packages to extend freshness. Otherwise brown rice has a shelf life of about 6 months. Your information is appreciated!

21. Jan rucker
    Jul 03, 2022 @ 08:12:55

We drove 50 miles every month to-your nearest store to buy this brown rice medley. We were so disappointed to find it discontinued. Please bring it back!

22. Don Troudy
    Jul 03, 2022 @ 12:05:46

We received our order from Zoro.com of the Black Pearl Medley rice mix from In Harvest. We had it with dinner the other night and it is identical to the Brown Rice Medley mix that TJ’s used to sell. We do have an alternate source, but you have to purchase it by the case.

23. Don Troudy
    Jul 04, 2022 @ 14:09:26

Try Zoro.com with one “r”. Do a search for Black Pearl Rice and you’ll get the link. They sell more than equipment and restaurant supplies.

24. Michael Cylenica
    Jul 09, 2022 @ 15:10:55

It is the best rice ive ever had. all my friends loved it and my roommate cooked my last bag for her company the other night not knowing im going to ?? her after i found out discontinued. also that other blend of a triple? veggie rice months ago also got the AX that was my second best rice. TERRIBLE decisions and i may boycott the store now

25. Susan Rumbaugh
    Jul 10, 2022 @ 23:30:23

Bring Brown Rice medley back – it is a fantastic
    Product- I have never written a message like
    this but we actually need it – serve it two
    to three nights a week, perfect for making
    all kinds of dishes – it’ actually completely
    CRAZY to discontinue it !

• Bonnie
      Jul 11, 2022 @ 15:10:53

I agree, Susan. It is wholesome, original flavor, good nutrition, versatile. Not a smart decision to remove. Fortunately, a competitor is selling it, as noted above. Too bad Trader Joe’s is not capturing this ongoing business. Bring it back, please. We are loyal customers. That is what you are striving for. Honor it.

26. Viana
    Jul 12, 2022 @ 13:49:04

Can’t believe Brown Rice Medley is discontinued! Best product to date. Please reconsider.

27. Michael Cylenica
    Jul 13, 2022 @ 14:09:35

could we start a petition or a vote so management can see the demand?

28. Michael Cylenica
    Jul 13, 2022 @ 14:45:19

I was trying to find a phone number for corporate and of course they don’t supply that . Nor do they make CONTACT available with jumping thru Hoops on the site. They are such a great company but nothing Irks me more than a company that hides from its customers being able to talk to them. i finally after lots of Hop Scotch was able to get to contact us???? Ha ha the joke is on us. what is wordpress? i found under admin. More RUN AROUND and that’s all this company is doing to we who want OUR FAVORITE product back

• Bonnie
      Jul 13, 2022 @ 22:23:00

Perhaps go to your local store and ask the manager for a customer relations phone number. You will likely have success.

29. Michael Cylenica
    Jul 13, 2022 @ 14:53:33

Thank you Promacnyc. Im from Jersey.
    I went to the link and was able to leave feedback and here is a pop up that followed.
    “We do not enter into the decision to discontinue a product lightly. We understand that it can be disappointing – we are Trader Joe’s customers too, after all. However, we want you to know that we take customer requests into account when we develop new products or revisit old favorites. We appreciate you taking the time to share this valuable feedback with us.”

Liked by 1 person

• promacnyc
      Jul 13, 2022 @ 20:22:21

Sure it might be water under the bridge but still, worth taking a few minutes to give them a piece of your mind(s).
      I can tell you this one product (BROWN RICE MEDLEY) being discontinued has gotten more Comments here than any other Post about any product.

30. marty
    Aug 20, 2022 @ 14:34:39

I just don’t go to TJ’s as often since they eliminated Brown Rice Medley. Bad business move.

31. Bubbi
    Aug 22, 2022 @ 18:41:23

Thanks to Don Troudy, I invested in some black pearl medly, 12lbs of it. And it is indeed identical to the TJ brown rice medley. It’s so good to have it back.

32. AC
    Sep 05, 2022 @ 15:13:30

Please bring this item back!

• Paula Pulleu
      Sep 05, 2022 @ 21:19:54

I Agree !!! Why are y’all continuing to discontinue this when it’s Obvious to a Child that this is a great product with Huge popularity. Trader Joe , Bring This Back !!! Please 👍

33. C. R.
    Sep 09, 2022 @ 09:27:12

Can’t believe Trader Joe’s discontinued this!!!!… BOOOO. It always happens.. shortly after discovering a great item, they discontinue it!!… it wouldn’t be so bad if you could find it anywhere else, this, you can’t!! I was told “the packaging was a problem “…. Put it in something else!!id but it in bulk, a bag, a box… anything.. just BRING IT BACK!!!

34. Ted Garces
    Sep 15, 2022 @ 19:38:14

Trader Joe’s keeps discontinuing great products. It brings nice products to their stores which then at some point in time, sometimes sooner than later, they get discontinued and sold by scalpers at Amazon. Too bad.

35. Kyle
    Sep 17, 2022 @ 11:54:39

Why? Why? Why? This was a unique, very healthy, versatile and delicious option. A go-to for our family whether prepared on it’s own or more regularly mixed 3 parts brown jasmine to 1 part medley. Please, please bring it or something similar back to your shelves.

36. Bubbi
    Sep 17, 2022 @ 14:46:11

It seems many haven’t read the other posts. Don T, (above) found the same rice. All you need to do is talk to your financial adviser and see if you can invest in 12lbs of the rice! 🙂 I did, and it’s exactly the same.

37. Becky
    Sep 21, 2022 @ 00:24:58

Glad I found this group rant. I LOVE that Brown Rice Medley and had been hoping its disappearance was just a temporary problem with supply chain or something. Now I am furious. I used this blend all the time. Thanks for the link above to the TJ complaint site. I definitely filled it out and ask all of you to also. If we keep it going maybe someone will take note. One can always hope.

38. Susanna
    Sep 23, 2022 @ 19:31:21

Please bring the brown rice medley back to the market, it is a great product!

39. Alisia Aviles